Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!

Friday, May 11, 2007

I went to the plot this afternoon even though it was spitting and raining alternately. I was a bit fed up to see that a lot of the onion leaves had been snapped off.....then I saw the culprit. That black composter laying on the bank by the fence alongside the next plot up had blown across my plot from my neighbour on the left. I've left it there as if I put it back it'll only happen again.
I hope the onions recover.

I managed to dig for an hour.The water had penetrated into the soil about 3-4 inches, as you can see from my second picture, so we have had nowhere near enough yet. So, even though it is cold, blowy and miserable I'm not moaning!

I had a good hoe all round . I hope that by keeping on top of it the plot will look good all summer, and not get weedy like my last half plot did last year.

And I was delighted when I arrived at the plot to find that the ali greenhouse bits had gone. Now I can get at my compost.

Looking back at the blog I see that I didn't report last weekend that we went to get a strimmer on Saturday. It is a pull start one, but strangely I can start it. (The difference in price between that and an electric start was almost £300 so we went for the cheaper option.)

We took it to the plot and had a go....it is very good on the nettles and the grass paths...hooray. Except that when we stopped it to give me a rest from it we couldn't start it again. So I took it back to Bembridge where we bought it. The salesman said the Chinese plugs they come with are rubbish, put a Champion in and away we went. I went back to the plot and 10 minutes later and the guard was spinning around the stem of the strimmer....all the bolts had sheared. Today at last I managed to get it back to the shop where they put some self-tapping screws in and it seems fine now. Hopefully I'll be able to go and tidy up the paths this weekend.

Tomorriow looks like being more of the same weather wise. I'll probably work in the tunnel as it is crying out for attention......!
Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

At 11/5/07 6:53 pm, Blogger RUTH said...

Glad you managed to get some time outside.

 
At 11/5/07 9:49 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Torrential non stop rain here - glad you got some gardening done.

The onions will grow back - mine did after the rabbits chewed the tops off.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home