Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Photo a day....9th May.

More from the "archives".

Back in 1995 when we came on the family holiday here I was anxious to visit Owl Cottage Garden, Mottistone. This was featured in Geoff Hamilton's "Cottage Gardens" series the previous year. Watching the programme we fell in love with the garden and the lady whose it was...I seem to remember her name was Hannah, She was noted for her wonderful way with plants, and for her bonnet!
Before we came for our holiday I phoned and arranged for us to visit her on one afternoon during our stay. She promised to open specially for us. So about 20 of us went to view it.

It was a lovely afternoon. She was so sweet to us, and had asked a neighbour to come and make us some scones and do some tea. She had us all in her kitchen, round the Aga. She was delightful.

You see her here with two of my nieces (both grown up now). She wanted to remove the bonnet but I begged her to keep it on.

All in all a very memorable day.
Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

At 10/5/07 12:07 am, Blogger RUTH said...

I remeber her from the TV programme. What a wonderful experience to meet her. I believe she passed away 6 or 7 years ago.

 
At 10/5/07 12:23 pm, Blogger Sheila said...

This is lovely. She reminds of a lady you would see in a Helen Allingham painting, wearing the bonnet in her country garden.

 
At 10/5/07 1:00 pm, Blogger Libbys Blog said...

I remember this programme too!!!

 
At 10/5/07 1:39 pm, Blogger patsy said...

My grandmother powell always wore a bonnet like this. your garden is looking good.

 
At 10/5/07 3:16 pm, Blogger talj said...

What a lovely image and memory! She looks like a very happy lady :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home