Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Two hours at the plot this morning before the sun got out! It was cloudy this morning so I took the opportunity to do some more digging before it got too hot. Yesterday I was dripping with sweat and the flies wouldn't leave me alone..... I suppose they were thirsty!!!

The picture is very similar to many I have already posted, but it does just show that I have dug another half-deep-bed's worth. The top end of this bit had some huge perennial plants in, and a bramble. It took a while to shift them and to dig up the bramble roots, but I finally managed it.

I am slowly progressing towards the manure pile and the greenhouse glass. I hope the fellas that want it move it soon!

There were at least a dozen of us at the allotments this morning. I love the sound of people using spades to dig.......so relaxing.

I had a hosp appt this afternoon (submandibular stone!....a stone in my salivary gland that is......Verdict....I have to drink lots of water if I don't want to have surgery!!!) so I didn't have too much time for the garden. I did manage to water everything with worm-wee tea! And I rigged up the hose out of the bathroom window to the butt for water conservation. The bath I had last night half filled the big butt. I thought I was frugal....no more than 5 inches for me ever! But that is half a water butt full!

The water has now been used to irrigate, through seep hoses, the tunnel beds and the asparagus bed. They were looking a bit dry. We are supposed now to be getting rain Friday night....hope so!

After the hosp visit I had time to finger weed and break up the soil in the strawberry bed, the asparagus bed, the shallots and the garlic. The soil here is clay and it was baked solid around the shallots and the garlic. Loosening it will help the rain soak in when it comes.

The temperature here was over 20degs in the shade in our back garden this afternoon. Next door they were sitting outside this evening until gone 7 it was so warm...it sounded like they'd had their dinner outside! Not bad for not quite halfway through April!
Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

At 11/4/07 10:24 pm, Blogger mrsnesbitt said...

awwwwwwwwwwwww! Can't wait to feel like this! Getting there!
Dxx

 
At 12/4/07 2:14 am, Blogger Scarecrow said...

We're enjoying some late season (for us) hot weather here too!
Hope you get some rain soon it's always good for the garden!

Great to see the first strawberry! Yummy! I'm just about to renew our strawberry bed!

Loved all your holiday photos too, lots of fascinating history in England. Must be great to see it all in real life!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home