Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!

Friday, January 05, 2007

Although my kitchen garden is not really much to look at at the moment as I have so many things started and other beds are a bit untidy.....there are little treasures still there.For example this array of saladings which I picked for lunch. All but the dill fronds and the mint were from outside! I can't believe I can still pick nasturtium flowers in January....but here is the proof! The dill fronds and the mint were from inside the poly tunnel.

Actually, the salads in the poly tunnel are not up to much this winter, so I am glad the garden is still producing well. The Sq Ft beds are still providing a good pick of salads as often as I want them and also a bunch of carrots and a plateful of greens for cooking most days as well. I hadn't thought we would do so well through the winter which was the reason for the tunnel in the first place....but am glad.

My husband said I was mad to go to the plot in the rain this afternoon but I was keen to empty the baths of soil (one of them) and water (the other), as the council have replied to my e-mail saying that the rubbish problem is in hand.....! I don't know when they're coming but I am ready for them now.

The bath which had water in ....as well as loads of mud and rubbish (you should see the state of me now!) had a family of toads in it. About 11 of them altogether....all sizes. I felt bad about evicting them, but compensated by building them a little home from some broken slabs and piled it up with the mud and slush. They may spurn that but I have tried. I didn't have a terracotta pot that I was prepared to sacrifice for them but what I built was big enough and damp enough to suit them.

Seeing how they live I am so glad I'm not a toad!!!! What a life! However I hope they stay with me and eat up lots of pests next year!
Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

At 5/1/07 2:55 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sure they will

 
At 5/1/07 11:40 pm, Blogger mrsnesbitt said...

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwhaaaa!


wow!

 
At 6/1/07 3:13 am, Blogger Sheila said...

I wouldn't want to be a toad in the cold mud either, but you gave them a chance.
This salad is a work of art..what colour...!

 
At 6/1/07 4:32 am, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

Lucky you, a nice salad and toads too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home