Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

I decided to give the back garden veg patch a bit of attention today as it was fearfully windy and I knew it would be quite severe at the plot!

I weeded the shallot patch....they are mostly through now and looking healthy.

I glanced at the broad beans.....8 inches high now and sturdy in spite of the fact that their bed gets very little sun this time of year. They were not weedy so I just raised the net which stops the cats doing their ytoilet in the bed.

The garlic is in the other half of the B bean bed and is really doing well. All cloves have sprouted and look strong. The leaves are about 5 inches tall.

I cleared weeds from the sq ft beds and harvested carrots, turnips, swiss chard, beetroots, a fennel root and its frondy tops, and some Brussels.

I was surprised to see that my little asparagus plants which I grew from seed and planted out in the Autumn (and cut the foliage off as advised) have put up shoots about a foot long whilst my back was turned!

Even though I was out there for quite a while I still need to do much more so will try to get out there a bit more often.

I also tidied the summer pots around the front door. I took photos because I can't believe that they still look so good on the Second of January!!!!! I'll post them tomorrow as Blogger is really playing games today!!!!!

2 Comments:

At 2/1/07 11:08 pm, Blogger Greenmantle said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 2/1/07 11:09 pm, Blogger Greenmantle said...

I love the (probably) unintentional disdain in your voice..."I glanced at the broad beans"..... At this stage of the game it doesn't do to over encourage them, so they should now be fine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home