Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!: A truly beautiful morning

Monday, November 02, 2009

A truly beautiful morning

 
Too nice today to hang about indoors, especially as the weather is due to deteriorate tomorrow til who knows when. So I went early to the plot to start on the spud beds for next year. Whilst there I thought a lot about the layout of my plot and have decided that over this winter I will re-organise it somewhat.

Firstly I am going to site the shed at the N end of the plot. I get so little sun in winter on my plot that I must maximise what does come. The hedge and the shed being on the S edge of the plot makes it very gloomy for most of the winter in the part of the plot that should get the most sun.
So...I will move the shed to the top of the plot, and cut the hedge to 3ft high, and move the compost bays to the bank....under the tree where nothing will grow.

I will also take away the path down the middle of the plot. I will still have the long 3'6" wide beds running across the plot...but they will now be 18ft long instead of being in two halves. I shall re-instate the historical path down the RH side of the plot...between the long beds and the bank. This path was obliterated by the previous plotholders but I can soon tread in a new one.
 
I spent an hour or so weeding out the docks and other pernicious weeds that were in the path between the two beds that will be the spud beds and forked through the two beds on either side to find the bindweed roots that were beginning to take over the bed. When I took over the plot I deep dug the whole site and dug out a mountain of white roots. It has lasted well.
The soil was so soft it was a dream to dig today. The beds (where I never tread) were so soft that no foot pressure is needed now to dig. On the bit between the beds that was path for the last 3 years just required a bit of foot pressure on the fork to free the roots of the docks etc. Truly a "knife through butter" day on my plot.
This bed will have manure spread in the spring and spuds will go in in March.
 
I noticed that the Brussels at the top of the plot were ready so I picked half a carrier bag from 6 plants, and tidied up the lower yellow leaves to the compost heap. I also picked a cabbage.

My husband also came to the plot for half an hour and strimmed the paths. I raked up a lot of grass and strewed a lot of it over the spud beds to keep light away from any tubers near the top of the soil.
 
I'm glad I have a plan to get the sun back onto my plot. Now I have to find the energy to do it.
Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

At 2/11/09 2:21 pm, Blogger Jan said...

It's great when you can dig easily! Even on my hard-baked clay soil I can get the fork in, simply because I try never to tread on it.

 
At 10/11/09 12:42 pm, Blogger Rob Clack said...

This is so inspiring! The weather is foul right now, but I hope it'll clear up a bit by the weekend so I cana get out there.

We have a compost bin under a tree and the tree roots grow up into the compost and steal all the goodness. Not quite sure what to do about that as I want the worms to be able to get up from the soil below, just not the roots.

We also don't tread on our veg beds and the soil is just lovely. So easy to weed, etc.

We had endless climbing French beans and lots of courgettes this year, though poor carrots. And the most beautiful golden beets, of which there are a few left. Great with roast pork!

Tomatoes and peppers in the greenhouse are still producing, though more slowly now.

Sorry to write a book in a comment!

 
At 16/2/10 5:04 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That soil sounds lush, and that manure is going to make it even better! http://www.yorkshirelavender.com/the-compost-heap-blog

 

Post a Comment

<< Home