Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Hours at the plot so far.....35.

As it was not raining this morning I went to the plot to hoe the onions, weed the spuds, and start preparing the last bit of ground for the potatoes under black plastic.
This picture shows the state of play when I had finished for the day. From the little criss-cross fence down is my bit. At the top are the onions and shallots....not really visible in this shot, but doing really well. It was really a bit too claggy to walk on, but I forked it up again after I'd weeded. The next bit is the first early potatoes. They are really up and running. There are no no-shows which I'm pleased about.

The bit that looks bare is the second earlies....there are some up, and a badger had had one of them....the scrape that he did is unmistakable according to another plotter.
Next are the two rows of main crop under plastic. They are showing already, although they are not yet through the plastic. I suppose they are warmer than the other ones as the black absorbs the heat. I am really pleased with this method, as it is less work than the thorough digging that I did for the others, as well as the constant weeding and earthing up that the ones in soil rows will need.
You can just see the rhubarb n the picture. When I got there today it had some magnificent flowers on. I put them in the compost, and harvested all the big stems of rhubarb. (Had salmon with rhubarb sauce for dinner!) Most of t is destined for the freezer.
In the bit of ground that is still flat grass alongside the rhubarb I'll be putting a pumpkin...one each side of the rhubarb which is slap bang in the middle of the plot. I may get time to dig that bit before the pumpkin is ready to go out....if not it'll go under plastic too.

This is a sideways shot of the plot to show the two rows of maincrop under plastic. There is actually one shoot showing in the fourth hole up from the bottom of the photo. Most of the holes have a spud showing now.

The last thing I did this morning was to start preparing the long mounds for the maincrop that I still have to put under plastic. I managed two rows of the four I need before I felt my back resisting....and the loo calling. So I picked up the 50 stems of rhubarb and went home.

After lunch I did numerous small jobs in the back garden and polytunnel. The peppers and aubergines are now in the beds in the tunnel. I sowed another cucumber seed in the ring pot at the end....ants had destroyed the one that was growing in there. There wont be any more ants as I've dealt with them! At over 60p per seed I don't want to have to do that too many times. I also planted out the jicama I am trying this year. I started 4 seeds but only one came to anything.

On the whole I am very pleased with the back garden, and chuffed to bits at the state of the allotment. I hope to finish the hard work there this week then it'll just be maintenance until harvest. I think I'll green manure it after I've dug up the spuds and dug the beds over. Next year I'll do brassicas in the allotment, and a few less spuds in some of the beds at home. I have really rather overdone the spuds this year as I wanted to grow them to "clean" the ground.

6 Comments:

At 9/5/06 11:27 pm, Blogger patsy said...

I would like to know how to get rid of ants. when we have rain they come in the house. I try sprays but they still come. I have to keep all food stuff in plastic containers or glass. they are a pain.

 
At 9/5/06 11:56 pm, Blogger patsy said...

I left a link on my blog for you, sorry this the only way i know how to do it. go to my page and click on strawberries. maybe you will find it useful and the best part when my sisters click on strawberries they will think i have gone crazy. patsy

 
At 10/5/06 7:09 am, Blogger lilymarlene said...

Thankfully we don't get them in the house. We did where we used to live, and I bought some of that stuff you paint along the windowsills and lintels to stop them coming in.....it worked!

I posted about the strawberries on your blog! Thanks!

 
At 10/5/06 11:51 am, Blogger weirdbunny said...

we've got potatoes in the polytunnel as well this year. We also grew some cucumbers that you can grow outside last year which were brilliant, as the polytunnel is a precious place that has a huge que of stuff waiting to get in. The chillis that we grew in the polytunnel last year were just too hot so we won't bother this year. Glad your having fun.

 
At 10/5/06 1:10 pm, Blogger She Who Digs said...

How do you freeze your rhubarb?

 
At 10/5/06 1:33 pm, Blogger lilymarlene said...

I got the idea from another blog. Wash it, cut it into bits, and freeze it. Hopefully you just pour as much as you want out of the bag and cook it from frozen!!!
Hopefully!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home