Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!: Our new front hedge is coming at last.

Sunday, January 06, 2008

Our new front hedge is coming at last.

I had an e-mail this morning to say that my hedge plants are in the post! Agggghhhhhhh! The place where they are to go isn't even dug yet......!

The plants are from Buckingham Nurseries, and I have chosen to plant an edible fruit hedge of native species.....! These are

2 Amelanchier Cherry bushes
5 Blackthorn
2 Cornelian Cherry
2 Hazel
2 Myrobalan or Cherry Plum
2 Quickthorn (Hawthorn)
5 Rosa Rugosa.

I have therefore started digging the trench this afternoon. The lawn area where I want the hedge hasn't ever been dug since the house was built in the late 70's so it isn't easy. It is very sandy and becomes rock hard in summer. There are lots of big stones so progress is very slow. However an hour and a half of hard work has resulted in an area 18" x 6ft, double dug to 1 ft, and the turf buried and the bottom of the trench enriched with home made compost

I have 30 feet in all to do so I may well have to heel some of the bushes in when they come. I'll get more done tomorrow and Tuesday so possibly half of it will be ready.

The reason for the fruit hedge is for the birds, rather than for us. I intend to make the re-designed front garden bird friendly rather than strictly ornamental and the hedge is the first part of the plan. It will also keep a lot of wind off the front of the house in the winter.....it really whistles along our road as we are at the top of a hill and get it all.

It was nice to be doing some gardening again after my op (now 3 weeks ago!) and all the chilly weather. I don't care how important the garden is....I stay inside when it's really cold....!
Posted by Picasa

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 6/1/08 7:51 pm, Blogger Frankie said...

Ooooh, that's exactly what I want to do - except I have to wait until next year when we've finished building. I will watch with interest.

 
At 11/1/08 7:37 am, Blogger Matron said...

Good choice of hedging plants! You will have lots of berries to feed the birds overwinter. You will also be able to make your own sloe gin!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home