Plotted this morning. Dug for an hour and a half, hoed everywhere, uncovered the manure to get a bit of rain on it before I spread it.
When I pulled back the tarpaulin I found two slow worms. Fortunately Chris was on his plot next door and moved them to under the shed for me. I'm not usually squeamish but I felt a little bit unsafe. Also he had gloves on, and I've had "garlic" hands after handling them before and didn't fancy it again!
This afternoon DH had his mainland hospital visit so I stayed in the back garden. I planted out my runner beans.....some were 3 ft tall and winding round everything in the tunnel. I didn't spend long enough hardening them off really so I hope they are OK. I've fleeced them a bit.
I also strawed the strawberries. I ran out half way through (I only managed to get one small bag of straw from a pet shop.....will get more when they have a delivery on Friday!) The bed looks so old fashioned now. I'll take a photo when it's all done.
It looks like more rain tomorrow. The water buts are full so it could stop now! I've started moving it round the butts that don't have a supply from a downpipe using my Hozelok butt pump. It's brilliant. I can see me having little use for watering cans in future.
It was quite a funny sight earlier. I put the pump into one of the butts without putting on the hose. This was to see if it was running. It was submerged with about 4 inches of water above the top of the pump. I turned it on to check it was working! It shot the water up into the air about 12 feet! It gave the sunroom windows a little wash!
I used it to water the tunnel with a watering wand spray. The pressure it produced was very good. Not as strong as from the Mains but still good. In fact, for watering plants it was better being a bit gentler.
I need to sow lots of seeds tomorrow....hope it is dry for some part of the day....!