Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Today I went and photographed some overgrown plots at the allotments. This was with a view to using the photos as evidence for a nagging the council session.
I found at least three that haven't been done at all this year. One was a real rubbish tip, with so much plastic things, like composters, tarpaulins etc. on it that it would take weeks to clear it. However....tempting though it is it is right next to a tall building and a large tree which cut off the sun til after lunch. I think it would be disheartening having that plot! So I will just phone in a gentle nag without being specific, as I wouldn't want to be only offered that one!

I still have plenty to do at home anyway. I spent this afternoon clearing some huge tired shrubs from where I want the last of my 8'x3'6" beds....making up the eight. I have a load of weeding and levelling to do before it is ready for the bed edges to be put in place. Then I have plenty of soil to fill it as the bed has rather risen up the fence and has begun to rot it so needs moving away from the base. It will take a while to get the roots out anyway.

I also weeded the square foot beds which still have some salads, chard, spinach, carrots, fennel, beetroot, leeks, etc in them. I staked the Brussels in the brassica bed. I chopped up a mountain of self sown nasturtiums which were still flowering but in my way, and then weeded out the beds they were in. The mustard green manure crop also came up and I have now prepared the bed for the shallots. These were intended for the plot but I'm not going to put them in now as I'm not sure what is going on up there.
I have a mountain of shredding to do tomorrow, but that is good because I use the shredded bark and twigs as pathway material between the deep beds.

I almost forgot to say that I decided it was time to dig up the sweet potatoes in the deep bed. I was surprised to find a goodish crop under the five slips I planted. The ones I planted in the pots were really disappointing, so I was worried as to what I'd find in the soil. I think I'll put the potted ones into the tunnel for the winter and see if they produce any tubers next year (I replanted the plants when I found them barren).

In the bed I cleared I also found some small courgettes...the last of the season.....not bad eh? Courgettes from outside on the 8th November. The plant still had good leaves on too. They would have succumbed later this week though as I believe we are due for a cold snap. I use the info on this site http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/HOBBIES/gardening.asp when planning my gardening. I like the way they predict likely soil temperatures. They even tailor the info to your own postcode.

9 Comments:

At 11/11/06 8:37 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you taking photos - make sure you choose the one you want. They won't mind someone being keen and showing an interest

Would love to see some photos of your beds at home.

My sweet potatoes in big pots were disappointing too, but I only had 2 slips which were very kindly sent to me. They went in rather late. I hope to keep the potatoes to produce slips for next year - and I will definitely plant them up the allotment this time.

I love reading all your posts - you keep really busy like me. I try and read everyone's who visit mine - often in blocks though as it is hard to fit so many in.

So just to reassure you, if i haven't left a comment, it does not mean that I am not keeping up with all your news

 
At 11/11/06 12:22 pm, Blogger lilymarlene said...

I read your blog daily (if you've done it) and am amazed at your energy. You accomplish much more than me.....for a start your allotment is HUGE!!!!!

I will post some photos soon, but I was too ashamed of the back plot to post photos before now this autumn. However I'm nearly there with the clear up. And the new beds are being built as we speak!
Watch this space!

 
At 12/11/06 1:52 pm, Blogger patsy said...

you are so busy. i can't believe the things you are going this time of year. we can't grow anything after nov.

 
At 12/11/06 4:41 pm, Blogger lilymarlene said...

Patsy....we have had an unusually mild Autumn this year. I can't believe I have strawberries fruiting in the garden. They wont ripen now I know, but nevertheless it is strange.
It will slow down soon we know, but meantime I'm using the mild days to get the winter clean-up done.

 
At 13/11/06 2:44 pm, Blogger She Who Digs said...

It's a shame that your "friend" is sub-letting the bit of plot you've been cultivating- and without even telling you first! It much have come a quite a shock and hope that you've been able to rescue your manure. Good luck with getting one through the Council, keep on to them- I work for a local authority, and often ‘he who shouts the loudest’ gets things done! Thanks for visiting my site and leaving a comment, it’s good to see that people are still browsing, even when I’m not reciprocating too often! Take care, Sarah

 
At 15/11/06 11:52 am, Blogger Jooles said...

You and Lottie put us all to shame with your energy and enthusiasm!

 
At 19/11/06 6:18 pm, Blogger Libbys Blog said...

I found you by blog hopping but I see we have a friend in common:- allotment lady!!

I shall enjoy following your days on the allotment:)

 
At 19/11/06 7:17 pm, Blogger lilymarlene said...

Libby....whan I have a minute I will enjoy reading yours too! And when I have an hour I'll add yours to my clickable link list!!!! LOL

 
At 19/11/06 7:19 pm, Blogger lilymarlene said...

Libby.....
And I LOVE blog hopping too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home