Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!

Monday, April 10, 2006

Hours at the plot so far.....21!
I went late today as I was very busy in the back garden. Firstly I took some photos of the guttering I put up yesterday on the polytunnel. Here is the finished article on the front.


And here is a close up to show how I have bridged the gap between the plastic cover curves and the straight gutter.
And here is a picture of the back of the tunnel where I have re-used the gutter I had on the front last year but which has bent out of shape. I think it will do the job....and we don't have to look at it!

(Someone suggested I do a link to Solar Tunnels....here goes!

http://www.solartunnels.co.uk/index.html )

Here is a picture of the inside as I left it yesterday.....!
And after an hours work...tidying, potting up, filling watering cans, putting out the brassicas to start hardening....etc...it looked like this!
The first bed on the left (mostly out of shot) has the spinach from last autumn, some newly planted peas, and a couple of o0dd purple sprouting from last year.
The second bed has 3 ring pots waiting for tomatoes. A tray of potatoes chitting. And some trays of paper pots and others with sweet peas, peppers, comfrey, and other things. At the front of the bed are some strawberry plants....already flowering.
The next bed was tomatoes last year so I have cucumbers and a melon in the ring pots. In front of them are some leaf lettuce, a courgette and some beetroot, as well as more strawberries.
The furthest bed has ring pots ready for tomatoes, strawberries, and some trays of Cara....chitting.
The green dustbin holds potting compost.

On the bench side of the tunnel there is the Ken Muir strawberry arrangement. Behind that but not really visible is an orange container with worm liquid in from my wormery.....it is wonderful fertiliser. At the far end of the bench is the little mini greenhouse which I shut down if there is a frost forecast as the tunnel is not as warm as a greenhouse. I have my tomato plants in there...also some petunias and other flowers

The last picture shows some little yellow spiders that have built a web on my small watering can. I'm not sure if they are pests..I need to look them up! They are absolutely tiny....so probably mites!

I finally went to the plot after walking the dogs (DH still dying with his cold!) but was chased home by the rain after half an hour. There were a lot of other people up there when I arrived.....by the time I left I was the only one there! The rain did a good job of clearing us!

Tomorrow promises to be fair so I'm going to go there early!

6 Comments:

At 9/4/06 7:05 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How will the poly tunnel stand up to a gale ? It looks great, would be good to have a link to the supplier.

 
At 9/4/06 9:07 pm, Blogger lilymarlene said...

It's a Solar Tunnel. So far it hasn't flinched in any wind we've had. The gutters (not standard....I fitted them myself) blew off in last winter's gales but the tunnel never moved!
I've tried to do a link but the website is unavailable today. I'll try tomorrow.
It wasn't cheap, it was three years worth of Anniversary presents!

 
At 9/4/06 11:15 pm, Blogger Greenmantle said...

I'm speechless with admiration Lilly.
Your tunnel looks so tidy and professional. I have plenty of space for a greenhouse or tunnel, but have not got round to funding it yet... Perhaps if I'm a really, really good boy this year Santa might............

 
At 10/4/06 10:39 am, Blogger clairesgarden said...

that looks great, a lot of hard work! well done!

 
At 11/4/06 1:38 pm, Blogger Judith said...

Lovely pics and the poly tunnel looks so useful. I like the guttering too - very practical, and all the rain should fill every water butt up really quickly.

 
At 11/4/06 1:51 pm, Blogger lilymarlene said...

It's raining now....hence I'm not at the plot!!!!! The butts by the tunnel were empty this morning....hopefully they will benefit a bit from this rain, but it doesn't seem very heavy. etcheck reckons we'll get 2.2mm....so how much that will fill the barrels is anyones guess. I suppose I could calculate it....given a week and about six sets of fingers and toes!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home