Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!: October 2006

Saturday, October 21, 2006

On Wednesday I was at the plot for most of the day because it wasn't as rainy as forecast.

I managed to empty the other compost heap and attempt to knock down the wooden compost containers. Couldn't....! So, contented myself with clearing out the passageway between my plot and the lower plots. Apparently some of those who have to use that way to get to there plots have been grumbling about it being so narrow. it was narrowest where my compost bins were encroaching I felt I ought to move them a foot or so back. The other problem was that the overgrown bit of the path was raised above the level of the bit people use and so it was like a little gully......not any more! Now it is flat and when the grass grows back it will look much better.

At home, yesterday when it did pour, I have been planning the bed arrangement for next year and forever more. I am going to convert the plot to the bed system and that should end the perpetual digging. There will be three beds 3ft x 15ft for each of the three crop rotation categories; a bed for end...comfrey the other; an asparagus bed; and at the top, in the bit which is not mine, but no-one does it, I will make three salad beds that the plot holder can pick from if she wishes. I'll also do a sweet pea wigwam there for her as well. She may not come and take them ....if so I'll have them!

I will be going to mark out all of that the week after next when our visitors have gone home.

Yesterday my new strimmer came. It is re-chargeable with a battery pack which hangs around my waist. I need it for the grass paths which have been difficult to keep down this year. I did clip them a couple of times but that is back breaking. The push mower is for someone stronger than me I'm this little strimmer is the answer....I hope. It has a battery time of an hour maximum. That should be enough. I'll go and try it out permitting.

Monday, October 16, 2006

This week past I've been to the plot everyday except Wednesday (the day after all the manure shovelling....back felt like it was snapping!). I have done half of the autumn dig already. Also I've cleared out an old coal bunker that was being used as a compost heap. It was full of beautiful soil which I've now spread all over the low bits of the plot. I also shifted one bay of the wooden compost container. When I have shifted the other I will be dismantling the compost bins and rebuilding then a foot further onto the site. They are encroaching onto the footpath between plots and some have moaned about the narrowness.......justifiably!
I made the coal bunker into an incinerator and had a good burn up of all the rubbish on the plot....and the bindweed roots that I weeded out today. They won't be reappearing in a hurry! It made a really good incinerator as there were lots of holes in it letting the draught in. I am going to make a permanent spot for it by the compost bins.

Tomorrow I must mow the lawns at home as rain is due for the rest of the week......hopefully I will be able to do some more on the plot later in the week. Next week we have visitors so I wont be doing much there then.

And...when all is tidy I'll post some shots of it on here!

Does anyone know if cabbage root fly will attack even in the winter....should I be worrying bout it with my winter cabbages and sprouts and broccoli? I've netted for pigeons, but not for butterflies...I assume it is too late for them......but I haven't done the cabbage collars as I think they restrict the stem....but I will if anyone thinks I should.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

As my DH is getting along very well now since his op (nearly 8 weeks now) I am able to spend a bit of time down at the plot. Just as well as I need to get it winter ready.

I dug the last 5 rows of spuds up....the ones that were hastily planted under plastic at the end of the Spud planting season. They were very disappointing. This was the ground I didn't have time to dig first. I just laid a turf over each tuber basically then covered the lot in plastic (or something like that.) There were very few, very tiny potatoes, damaged by slugs and woodlice. Only about half a Tesco bag worth having. I don't think I'll do any Main Crop next year. I want to use less of the ground for spuds, so it'll just be some early ones I think.

I have started the autumn dig. The soil is so friable I could dig with one hand. And yet only a month ago it was rock hard. I am really pleased with the quality of the soil. My back garden is only about a quarter of a mile away as the crow flies, and yet our soil at home is dreadful compared with the plot.

Whilst I was digging I saw that there was a lot of manure being delivered to various plots. It was beautiful manure.....very well no smell at all. I asked if he could get me a he did. It was all dropped on the hauling road, which is also a public I had to shift the lot this afternoon! Two elderly gentlemen who also had some delivered helped me, and it was soon done. Then when theirs came we tackled that together too. So....I am absolutely worn out now......digging all morning and shovelling all afternoon. A Radox bath was welcome but has not really tackled the I am off to get horizontal and ease my back.

I borrowed a communal seed catalogue from another plotter yesterday. If we order together we get a 40% discount. As the prices are already very good, that is a sensational offer. The firm is Van Hage . I found out about the catalogue because one of the other plotters showed me his carrots........ariety Flak....they were huge! He sowed them on the 2nd June and didn't thin or water them. They were magnificent! They are fly resistant too. So I had to have some for next year....and the only place that sells them is Van Hage.

Oh well....that is it for to bed. Goodnight!