Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!: Progress in the Kitchen Garden

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Progress in the Kitchen Garden

This morning was beautiful weather, and I used it well.

The broccoli and Kale plants that I started from seed in June needed a home for the winter, so I found some space for them at the end of the pea and bean beds. They are now firmed in, slug pelleted, and protected from butterflies (and cats searching for a toilet) with the green net arrangements. These are the Haxnicks tunnels I bought last year at Wisley. I have cut them in half because they are more use to me across the beds rather than along them.

Having had a sit with a cup of coffee I must now go and cut all the sweet peas......! We are going out this evening so I will take some with me. I get about 6 vases worth each time I pick them which is more than enough for me.

The stems are very short this year. Any suggestions for a long-stemmed super-scented variety of sweet pea?

The Robinson "Show Perfection" Peas which were on a tepee were finished so I cleared them all away, picking off the last which we'll have for dinner. In their space (at the other end of the sweet pea bed shown here) I have put some shallots started from seed and getting a bit big for the pot they were in. I have netted these too against the cats.

3 Comments:

At 18/7/08 10:15 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All is looking great on your allotment and in the garden - and oh I do envy your poly tunnel that always looks brilliant

 
At 23/7/08 7:41 am, Blogger Matron said...

I'm glad you mentioned the cat problem.. I've just lost a whole bed of beetroot seedlings to defacating felines! grrrr

 
At 29/7/08 7:05 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're growing Latvian peas this year. They're beautiful to look at, delicious to eat and tough as old boots! They're not easy to get hold of—we were given 12 seeds originally—but they do well and with a spot of seed saving we have about 200 plants this year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home