Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

When I went to Kent I visited my old neighbours, and saw the Wisteria on my old house and felt a little nostalgic. My dear neighbours warned me not to look at the garden as it would depress me. I can see from this front bed that they'd be right!!!!

We lived there 20 years and one week. DH fought cancer here, I had a broken back, we brought up our adopted son, kept chickens, pigs, sheep, goats, cats (probably about 15 all told, not counting the 15 or so kittens they produced every year and which we had no trouble placing in good homes!), and two dogs.

We had problems there too.....the roof was severely damaged in the 87 hurricane, and we had a landslip at the back which cost us a fortune to rectify (£22,000) and led to us eventually realising that we wouldn't be able to retire there so we did our big move to the Isle of Wight (three years ago) whilst we still had the strength to set ourselves up for old age. Two acres is also rather a burden when you are old.....it was a 1 in 7 slope too!

The house we have now is modern, not a patch on this one here. When we saw this one as a farm building before it was renovated and converted I fell in love with it. We designed the interior ourselves...I had a 5ft sq walk-in larder with marble shelves, and a deep ceramic sink, as well as a huge farmhouse table and a Rayburn to cook on. A hard act to follow!!!
Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

At 25/4/07 6:45 pm, Blogger Libbys Blog said...

It must have been a very difficult decision to leave such a beautiful place. What made you choose the Isle of Wight!!

 
At 25/4/07 7:14 pm, Blogger lilymarlene said...

Well....we had holidayed here in this village since the late 50's and knew it was a lovely place.....beaches all round etc. And we have family who have already moved here.
Downsizing in Ashford was not tempting....and so we came here. The family still come en masse evry May so we still see everyone. And my friends from Kent come a lot too.....! Quality time with them rather than the day to day stuff!
We are happy here and often pinch ourselves as it is a bit of a dream still.

 
At 25/4/07 9:56 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's hard not to look back. I fight it all the time. I think you have done so well for only being on the Isle of Wight such a short time !!

 
At 26/4/07 1:10 am, Blogger Sheila said...

It's sad that you had to give up a home you loved, but the fact that you love the place you moved to must have made the transition easier.
I've never been to the Isle of Wight, but from the pictures you have shown it looks beautiful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home