Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!

Saturday, March 31, 2007

When I went to pick up the Mantis from the service shop today I saw this. I had watched some men in the Wisley Veg garden using one to make the soil fine before seed sowing. It looked "the business" so I decided it was just what I need for my raised beds in the Kitchen Garden. It's a bit pricey (cheaper on the internet), but I spent an hour with it on the beds here at home and it is a dream to use. (I didn't get the really long handle as it wouldn't be easy to manoeuvre in the Kitchen Garden. The man suggested getting the wooden one that is about rake length and it is perfect
I can see that I will use it a lot. If I make sure to leave enough room between rows it will be a wonderful hoe for weeding, as the blade at the back chops them off at the roots. They are easy to either pick up or rake up afterwards as it leaves them whole.
I think it'll also be a boon at the allotment for weeding, and mixing the manure into the soil....perhaps I'd better get another one!

3 Comments:

At 1/4/07 8:17 am, Blogger RUTH said...

It looks a lethal but handy thing to have.

 
At 1/4/07 6:38 pm, Blogger Melanie Rimmer said...

I was just going to say that, Ruth. If you hadn't told us what is was for we could have had a lot of fun guessing. It looks like a mediaeval torture implement.

 
At 1/4/07 7:45 pm, Blogger Sheila said...

I could use this to take up and area of my lawn that needs re turfing..!
This looks lethal, and I bet you had fun using it...1

 

Post a Comment

<< Home