Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!

Friday, July 07, 2006

Today's harvest....potatoes, lettuce, beetroot, parsnips, broccoli, strawberries, cabbage, cucumber, peas, and a tiny green pepper.
This morning I picked 76 sweet peas. I picked everything that was out. I seem to get a good picking every other day. The scent in the kitchen is superbe. (Photo below!!! It won't go where I want it to this evening!)
I also planted out the sweet potato slips that I got from T & M three weeks ago. They have put on a really good root system in the rootrainers. They are now in large pots outside....5 of them...the other five are in the ground. This is by way of a trial as I believe they need to be warm in the autumn so I can take the pots into the polytunnel then. The ones in the beds I'll cover with polythene if we get early cold spells.
I also sowed seeds for spinach, pak choi, lettuce "Clarion" and "Salad Bowl" into 4 more Sq Ft beds. I'm hoping this system will provide us with plenty of variety of veg into the autumn. If successful I might Sq Ft the tunnel beds and set up some interesting salads and other veg for winter picking.
The broccoli I planted in the garden for the winter produced a small head today....hope they'll last until winter. I had that one for dinner...tasty! The brussels sprout plants, and the squash in that bed look good too. I didn't make it to the plot today....perhaps tomorrow. Hopefully the seeds I put in there will have an encouraging show. Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

At 8/7/06 11:41 pm, Blogger weirdbunny said...

Love your sweet peas, which variety are they?

 
At 9/7/06 5:27 am, Blogger lilymarlene said...

They are "Miss Wilmott" from Thompson and Morgan.....their "trial price" this year was 89p.
The packet said they are an "heirloom variety dating back to 1901.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home