Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!: Leek Moth!

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Leek Moth!

I was warned that some plotholders have lost hundreds of leeks to the onslaught from leek moths. They lay their eggs on the outer green leaves and the larvae burrow under the surface and make their way down to the roots. They colonise the inside of the leek and you end up with nothing.
So I inspected my leeks and found the damage on one or two outer leaves. I cut them off and burned them.
The RHS website says that there is no known prevention measures other than very fine netting, and that an insecticide might do some good, but nicotine is best. But....nicotine is only available to commercial growers. I just hope I caught mine in time.

3 Comments:

At 23/9/08 7:53 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no - yet another pest I haven't heard of. There was me thinking leeks were pretty tough and impervious to almost everything! Always something new to learn in gardening.

 
At 23/9/08 8:03 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reg your kind reply

You are probably right there Lily.

Like engines, plants generally fail because of one of two reasons.

Fuel or air supply.

Too much or too little of either and the engine will choke.

It helps if the sun shines occasionally too :o).

Happy gardening!

Thanks for the link lily.

Caz

 
At 25/9/08 6:40 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. Forgot to say thanks for the link to the Runner bean Chutney. Never made it before but I'll certainly give it a try.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home