Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!

Sunday, January 14, 2007



Photo a day.....January 14th.

One of the things I didn't know about the Isle of Wight before we came was that Mimosa grows here very well as it is so mild. This one is especially early. We saw it last week on one of the very windy days (hence the blur) on our afternoon walk...the dogs and I.

I love mimosa and am heartened to think that I can have one at last (when I re-do the front garden). I fell in love with them when I was a teenager staying in Brittany one Easter in the 60's. I thought they were impossible in the UK...I did try to get one in Kent...to no avail.

There is a huge one in a garden backing onto ours, but that one is not quite out yet. Really they shouldn't be out until February, but they are as confused as the rest of nature.

7 Comments:

At 14/1/07 7:11 pm, Blogger Libbys Blog said...

The only time I've see na Mimosa tree before was when we hwere in Saouth Africa! Nice to know they grow closer than that!!

 
At 14/1/07 7:52 pm, Blogger Sheila said...

Lucky you to have tree blossom out already. This is so pretty too.
Your area looks almost Meditteranean, with the variety of plants you are able to grow.

 
At 14/1/07 8:12 pm, Blogger lilymarlene said...

We are on the N E corner of the Island. On the southern tip at Ventnor they have that wonderful gardens where I photographed the fountain. They truly do have an almost frost free climate there and the gardens have lots of treasures even we can't grow here.

Someone told me today that about 10 years ago they had 2 foot of snow in this village!!!!!!

 
At 15/1/07 2:54 am, Blogger dot said...

We have some wild mimosa around here. I love the little puffy flowers.

 
At 15/1/07 3:55 am, Blogger Scarecrow said...

This looks a lot like our wattle (acacia) trees here but I googled mimosa and saw it is an Albizia also called a silky acacia so it must be pretty similar.

 
At 15/1/07 9:12 am, Blogger mrsnesbitt said...

How summery! A pleasant break from the grey clouds I am gazing at here!
Dx

 
At 15/1/07 9:24 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stunning - I envy you

 

Post a Comment

<< Home