Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!

Monday, January 29, 2007

Photo a day.....29th January.

When we used to come here on holiday I used to wish we could stay in one of these. There were two of these old railway carriages converted into holiday lets along the front at the Duver (pronounced Duvver) at Seaview.

They were used until about 10 years ago (I think) then allowed to decay....and finally the site was bulldozed when the new sea wall work was done. I really miss them.

When we were moving to the island and had our home up for sale in Kent, one of the prospective purchasers was intrigued to think we were coming to Seaview as he had had his holidays here in one of these railway carriages as a child! Small world!

When I scanned the photo and was messing about with the editing I tried it in sepia and was almost tempted to post it like that....only I thought you might get the idea that it was an old postcard!
Posted by Picasa

8 Comments:

At 29/1/07 6:59 am, Blogger RUTH said...

It's sad when places decay and are knocked down...I am glad you still have your memories

 
At 29/1/07 7:16 am, Blogger Annie said...

My father tells a story about living in a railroad car with his parents and siblings when he was a boy of 5. It was the time of the great depression and they had lost most everything they had.

 
At 29/1/07 12:52 pm, Blogger Sheila said...

I have seen photos before of railway carriages converted to dwellings, and like you thought it looked quite romantic and could be fun. Now reading Annies comment I see another side to the story..
This photo in sepia probably lended it some enchantment..?

 
At 29/1/07 1:22 pm, Blogger Libbys Blog said...

We all have wonderful memories of holidays past!! Sad when things decay though!!

 
At 29/1/07 1:50 pm, Blogger lilymarlene said...

Oh yes everyone....I wouldn't want to live in one full time.....very cold in winter I'd think!

 
At 29/1/07 5:54 pm, Blogger photowannabe said...

Interesting use of o;d railway cars. In their prime they must have been real treasures to holiday in. Good shot.

 
At 30/1/07 6:36 am, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

Nice you've captured a bit of history here! Thanks for sharing with us. I love this kind of stuff.

 
At 2/2/07 4:50 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, I remember this place! I used to love these ramshackle homes too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home